Thursday, December 4, 2008

What it Feels like to be at the Forefront of Something

I just finished a lecture with Shailagh Murray, the Washington Post reporter who followed Obama's campaign since its conception.

That was cool.

But, interestingly enough, I learned something. Surprise. Learned.

Right now, well, if I had followers, I would be at the forefront of journalism. Maybe.

I think sometimes that I'm an alright writer. I really try to be. I'm always on top of things. I try to background most of my stuff. I keep up with the times. I know where to look for relevant information. My spelling is okay. And so is my right click finger.

And my writing makes me important. My education makes me important. It doesn't make me desirable. Not yet.

I need my idea.

She said something interesting tonight. Sheilagh said, "We are just talking about what to do; where we're going."

Amazing. Thousands of journalist were laid off today and some of the biggest news organizations in the country are just talking about what to do; where they're going.

Well, I have news too. As a student, a writer and future professional: I don't know where you're going.

How much can I really do when there's just a screen in my face and letters at my fingertips? I guess that I can do quite a bit. I'm writing right now.

To some, I'm just writing shit. I'm just rambling. This isn't art. This isn't journalism. This isn't anything but a public diary that someone has yet to look at. Just another one.

But what if someone were to look at this tomorrow, tonight, or in the next five minutes and think, "I like this." Would I change? Would I realize that my forefront idea might be working–that it might be materializing?

That would be something. I could change my whole shit repertoire to a piece full of journalistic integrity and important layout of public insight.

But, first, I need someone to read what I've written. It is shit.

It won't be for long.

No comments: