Monday, January 5, 2009

What it Feels Like Just Past the Point of No Return

In my life, I've had a couple points of no returns. Some are loves that have grown old, some are moments just before car accidents.

But, the best point of no return is more of a... devious one. It's the point in life when you finally bog down and come to terms that people who are as tall as you but are younger than you are actually faster than you.

I'm not old. I would never say that considering the surplus of old people on the planet right now–no offense meant–but I am at a point in life where I can only push my body to limits that are starting blocks for someone a few years younger than I am.

I can do back flips, I can do front flips, I'm only really afraid of mountain lions and I can keep up with anyone I meet.

I saw Travis Pastrana come to this realization and I saw the hurt in his face a couple of weeks ago. He landed the double back flip on a motorcycle and said, "that's it. That will be child's play in a couple of years."

Then I had mine. There was a kid at the skate park a while back, not much younger than me, but younger, and he put his body in limits that I used to imagine were years ahead, only to realize I was already years ahead. I came to the limits of my time and I continue to wake up everyday to find ways around those limits and create new ones.

On a skateboard, on a dirt bike, you just need to remain fixable. It takes too long for me to be fixed right now. Nine months for a ACL repair when it used to be six.

So, listen to Obama when he tells us that kids and progression are where it's at. He's right. He's smacked the nail with a wrecking ball.

I'm glad that I see the other types of progression that I can always be at the forefront of. I love it. I'm going to stay that way. I'll always be in the lighthouse, searching for the becon from a ship that I never really thought about.

No comments: